Balista is a lizard-like creature that shows no mercy during battle. He is evil and enjoys watching other Bakugan suffer. However, he has grueling respect for Worton. Unlike most Aquos Bakugan, Balista uses ice-based attacks instead of water. Out of all the Nonets, he trusted Wiseman the least and wanted to know who he was which lead to his death.
Balista appeared in the Doom Dimension along with the other Nonet Bakugan, telling the evil Mechtogan, Coredegon, Slycerak, Exostriker, and Mandibor not to doubt Professor Worton (whom he refers to as "all-seeing" and "all-knowing").
He and the other Nonets were freed from the Doom Dimension by Wiseman after learning that Drago is the descendant of the Original Dragonoid who banished the Nonets. He then fought Drago, Jaakor and Radizen along with other Nonets after arriving on Earth, but he barely battled since he didn't attack any of the Brawlers Bakugan. After Betadron tells the brawlers who the Nonets are, he helped summon the evil Mechtogan and was defeated alongside the other Nonets when they lost control of Mechtavius Destroyer.
He tells Wiseman he is ready to battle Marucho Marukura and Radizen. He and Worton later fought against Radizen and Roxtor. He and Radizen fought one on one at first with Balista using Hydro Cannon to Freeze Radizen. The later doges the attack but then Balista uses Bubble rush and Radizen falls for the attack. Radizen then makes a shield but then Worton came to help eventually breaking though Radizen's shield. Balista then froze Radizen in place. Radizen got free and attacked the two Nonets with Luster Drain. They then fused into Volkaos giving Radizen a hard time, but lost when Roxtor joined the fight and formed Betakor.
Balista battled the Brawlers Bakugan (except Skytruss and Orbeum) along with the other Nonets in the park. He, Kodokor, Stronk and Tremblar got attacked by Drago's Dragon Astral. He and the Nonets helped summon the evil Mechtogan and got defeated when Mechtavius Destroyer lost the battle.
He told the Nonet Bakugan that he didn't trust Wiseman and that he thought that Wiseman was using them. When he asked Worton about it he tells him that Wiseman may be using the card Masquerade once used. Betadron told him that is was thanks to Wiseman that they were free in the first place.
Wiseman offered to bring him into battle with the Darkus Nonets, but he refused. This was so he could find out what Wiseman was hiding from the Nonets. After finding a secret door, he discovered Gunz Lazar tangled in vines of some sort believing him to be connected to Wiseman.
He battled the Brawlers Bakugan along with the other Nonets. He then fused into Volkaos and battled Magmafury with help from Tremblar and managed to knockdown their opponent with Blast Burn. He helped summon the evil Mechtogan and was later transported back to Wiseman's headquarters along with the other Nonets when Mechtavius Destroyer defeated Dragonoid Destroyer.
Balista wanted to show Worton the secret room where Gunz was located. Worton then told Balista to forget what he had seen and to focus on the current situation. After saying that, Worton flew away and didn't see the room. He later battled the Brawlers Bakugan along with the other Nonets where he and Worton were hit by Radizen's Slash boomerang and helped summon the evil Mechtogan. While in the cloud he and the nonets chanted for the death of Drago which fulfilled the Mechtogan's powers. He was later defeated when Mechtavius Destroyer lost the battle to Flytris and Thorak. 
He battled Aerogan, Reptak, and Fusion Dragonoid alongside Worton. In round 1, he used Switch Blizzard to prevent Drago and Reptak from attacking them. Reptak then used Spar Hook to attack him and Worton, but his ally saved him thanks to hyper Agility. They then combined into Volkaos and won the first round, but were defeated by Aerogan and Dragonoid Destroyer's combined attack causing them to lose the fight.
In his final appearance, he and the rest of the Nonets summoned Slycerak, Mandibor, and Exostriker. When Spatterix asked where Coredegon was Wiseman replied that as leader it will take him a while to be ready which Balista had a hard time believing. Later he tried to find out what Gunz knew about Wiseman, but he was tricked by Wiseman, led into a cave and killed soon after Wiseman showed him his true identity, which was revealed to be Coredegon.
- Ability Cards
- Hydro Artillery (Hydro Cannon)
- Bubble Rush
- Switch Blizzard
- His ball form looks like a frill-necked lizard.
- His ability, Hydro Cannon is also the name of a Water-type move from Pokémon.
- Likewise, when he combines into Volkaos, his Fusion Ability, Blast Burn, is the name of a Fire-type move from Pokémon. Coincidentally, these two moves are equivalent to each other in Pokémon.
- In the anime, Balista was the first Nonet to engage at least one of the Brawlers without help from another Bakugan.
- In Battle Suit Bash, he was shown to be able to see through walls with infrared vision in his ball form.
- Balista, along with Trister, were the only Bakugan outside of the first season who narrated the preview of the next episode.
- His voice is originally normal, while the dub changes it to be reptile-like.
- He was the first Nonet Bakugan to be killed by Coredegon.
- He is the only Nonet that never met Gunz, this was due to the fact that he was killed before Gunz woke up.
- Despite wanting to beat Drago badly, he never refers to him by name or even taunts him. This is noteworthy in Jump to Victory where he and Worton take on Drago together.
- He is one of the more quiet Nonets during battle.
- He and Tremblar are the only Nonets that were never shown using a battle suit.